June 23, 2008

Phil Watch: I'm Quite Astonished!

It started a few weeks ago.

A curious thing began to creep into Phil's text. Heck, it even began to consume his entire columns.

I can only refer to this strange beast as something resembling...REASON.

His hyperbole had been dialed back, his dumb-ass prognostications were nearly non-existent and his pick of topics have been followed with a measured analysis clearly within the ballpark of a sane and rational human being.

In short, he's been readable. With all the crap currently being written in town (see Mariotti's latest who, btw, apparently asked for a security detail in the Wrigley press box over the weekend), Phil's looking merely mundane instead insanely moronic of late.

A few weeks ago, during a particularly boring Phil Watch for me that nonetheless deserved a post, a clear feeling of redundant redundancy washed over me. As he continued to repeat himself, I felt like the gamut of barbs currently stocked in my arsenal had been exhausted. It was becoming less fun for me. In a sense, Phil had begun to win the battle of attrition.

Now he pumps out four columns over the weekend with a couple of short articles and a power ranking to boot that are only something a normal person would write. Christo confused.

So as the last two weekends have shown, Phil Watch will now pick and choose their projects instead of poring over every word plugged in by Phil's fingers.

I still say he returns to form sometime soon. Only nine days ago, he offered seven stupid-ass trade options for Griffey, so I have a feeling this is just a sabbatical for Phil.

To further back up Mate's Thome hatred, I give you his 2008 clutch statistics via baseballreference.com (click to enlarge):


Ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment